Saturday, May 30, 2020

The Interdependency Trilogy (by John Scalzi)

My latest book was actually three books: the Interdependency trilogy by John Scalzi. My review is largely about the structure of these books, so let me open by saying they are as funny, smart, and entertaining as always. I particularly appreciate how many strong female characters are here, and the dedication on the last book ("To the women who are done with other people's shit") is a lovely touch.

I waited to read the trilogy all at once because I suspected reading one at a time would be unsatisfying, although the reviews saying the first one "ends on a cliffhanger" were overblown. I actually think books one and two each have satisfying endings, while leaving plenty open for the second and third, respectively. If anything, reading three at once emphasized that Scalzi really does design them to be read as standalones, because he cleverly (and organically) weaves in the backstory in each subsequent book.

My only real complaint is that while the third book does have a satisfying ending, to me it actually feels less final than the other two. Spoilers coming in white text: He never explains what happens with Cardenia and Rachela, how it's even possible, and what the nature of memory room existence then is. I thought for sure we'd go back to End since the book opened with the political machinations there, and the series would end (no pun intended) with a final showdown there, but instead it was anticlimactic and felt rushed. I didn't mind Marce's storyline ending because I think that would definitely be a separate book in this universe (one which I'd love to read). But the lack of resolution about Cardenia and about End particularly makes me think this could have easily (and arguably should have) been four books. 

Overall, though, an extremely enjoyable series!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home