Wednesday, March 04, 2020

Something That May Shock and Discredit You (by Daniel M. Lavery)

My experience of Danny Lavery: loved his work on the feminist website The Toast, find his newsletter The Shatner Chatner alternately brilliant and impenetrable, quit reading Dear Prudence, and enjoy interacting with him on Instagram. As a person and a writer and a thinker and a humorist, he is a delightful presence in the world.

There are occasional misses among the chapters here, for me, but someone on Goodreads nailed it when they called this "so wonderfully idiosyncratic that it's impossible to imagine anyone else writing it." I often wanted more of the traditional trans memoir, but the way the trans experience is here filtered through literary and Biblical referents really, really worked for me most of the time. It's not possible to really "explain" this "book" in a way that makes sense. All I can do is point you to an excerpt and say if it makes you want to read more, I highly recommend it.


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home