Friday, January 26, 2018

Artemis (by Andy Weir)

I enjoyed this just fine. As others have notied, the problem is that he made his lead a female Saudi Arabian Muslim without making her femaleness, Arabic-ness, or Muslim-ness really factor into her identity at all. She's basically Mark Watney, except not, because she's totally a female Saudi Arabian Muslim, you guys.

I absolutely appreciate the effort, and the fact that when the movie is made they will actually have to cast an Arab female in the lead, and not Matt Damon. I also think Jazz's father is somewhat successful as a devout Muslim character, and there are some nice character notes towards the end. But there are a lot of implausible moments, a lot of "a woman would never say that" moments. It reminds me of how the narrator of Lock In was supposed to be gender ambiguous but used a phrase like "I have to take a piss," which I literally have never heard from a female person in my entire life.

Anyway. Not trying to circumscribe how to be a woman, but merely saying I didn't buy Jazz as an authentic character. Other than that, it's a fun and lightweight, and Martian-y, Moon adventure.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home