Tuesday, January 23, 2018

The End of Eddy (by Edouard Louis)

Not exactly a memoir -- it's an autobiographical novel.  Picked this up for the Tournament of Books and this is the book I alluded to in my last post as a bit of a slog, although it's quite short.

I'm not sure why I never warmed to this book. It's the story of a gay boy growing up in rural France in roughly the present day (the author, whose life this is based on, is only 21) and dealing with extreme poverty and homophobia.

I had some issues with the verb tenses shifting (which, to be fair, may be a translation issue) but also I found the characterizations somewhat uneven, the plot at times stagnant, and the timeline slightly confusing.

This simply did not click for me, for whatever reason, and I feel like it's probably a better book than I'm making it out to be. Curious to see how the Tournament discussion shakes out. I probably wouldn't have finished it otherwise.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home