Friday, January 12, 2018

Dear Cyborgs (by Eugene Lim)

Now that I have this library thing figured out, as soon as the Tournament of Books shortlist came out, I immediately added every book I could find to my library holds list (minus the ones I've already read: The Animators, Fever Dream, Lincoln in the Bardo, Manhattan Beach.) This is the first one that was available.

Unfortunately, Dear Cyborgs was an inauspicious beginning for me. Although there are some insightful passages and commentary that will probably lend themselves well to being quoted in Tournament of Books judgments, this did not hang together for me at all.  My notes merely say "hella pretentious and annoying."  The lack of narrative, the fragmentation, the experimentation -- just all felt like it went a bridge too far and I did not go along for this particular ride. 

Lots of people love this and it worked for them. But it didn't work for me.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home