Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Reread: I Capture the Castle (by Dodie Smith)

Memory Reaction:

I'm only posting this because I'm blogging re-reads this year. I've actually read it at least once a year since I first read it seven years ago, so this isn't my first rodeo. I'm trying to solidify my mental images of the characters so I can finally see the movie. Romola Garai isn't my idea of Cassandra, but she is a great actress, and I love Bill Nighy, and overall I am very tempted. Oh, and my memory reaction is: I remember this being one of my favorite books of all time.

Reread Reaction:

Yep. A wonderful coming of age story, with sophistication and amazing wry humor and delightful characters and unpredictable plot twists and the best narrator ever. A wonderful world to live in for a few hours, which is why I keep going back for visits.

Previous Review:

Well I fell madly in love with it instantly of course.

Quote:

     "Great Heavens, Cassandra, how did you get that?" said father when he saw me nursing the ham.
I told him, and explained that I had been hiding it in case he made me refuse it.
     "Refuse it? You must be insane, my child." He took it from me to guess how much it weighed. We all guessed--which was a sheer waste of time as we haven't any scales.
     "You're nursing it as if it were your first-born child," said father when it was returned to me eventually.
     I said I doubted if anyone's first-born child was ever more welcome. After that we all fell silent--we had suddenly remembered the chauffeur.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home