Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Black Swan Green (by David Mitchell)

It's official: David Mitchell is a genius. I will read every book he writes from now on. I was incredibly impressed by Cloud Atlas, but this book is more (deceptively) simple. It's the story of a year in the life of a 13-year-old boy trying to navigate his social world. It's Lord of the Flies meets The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4. (And I hated Lord of the Flies, so don't let that put you off if you are on that train with me.)

It's an absolute classic. The language is authentic and so original. I cried as I was reading the last chapter, and not because of anything that was happening in the plot. It was the way it all came together in this perfect emotional beat, and the sheer beauty of the language. It's funny and charming and easy to read. And obviously I am trying really hard to convince you to read it too, so you should just go read it. David Mitchell is the real deal.

4 Comments:

Blogger eliza said...

I am buying it immediately.

11:17 AM  
Blogger mo pie said...

I really hope you love it!

11:31 AM  
Blogger BC said...

Will you see this five years later? Because I am totally loving this and am glad to see that you did too!

10:49 AM  
Blogger mo pie said...

Yes, I see it! But it was stuck in my spam queue. So will you see THIS?

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home