Monday, January 08, 2007

Secret Adversary (by Agatha Christie)

Once again, the first book of the year is by Agatha Christie! This was a complete accident. I am currently powering my way through Finnegans Wake but god knows nobody can do that full time. Today I felt vaguely unwell and was looking for something relatively easy to read, so I found this in the public domain. The protagonists are Tommy and Tuppence, a charming young pair of amateur detectives. Predictable storyline but the detectives are way more likeable than Hercule Poirot, for my money. I’d like to read the other Tommy and Tuppence novels (I think there are a couple.)

In addition to Finnegans Wake and The Skeleton Key To Finnegans Wake, I am also reading The Color of Water (I may teach it this semester) and The Things That Matter, which is an analysis of seven novels, six of which I’ve read. So I also have to read the seventh book (one of Woolf’s and I can’t remember the title). So it’s not like I’m not reading anything…just that I’m not actually finishing anything. Last year I intended to read 100 books; I read 52. But I was totally on track at the beginning of the year—the problem was that I moved three times and had like forty-seven jobs at the end of the year. I think I did okay.

2 Comments:

Blogger mo pie said...

I haven't read any Miss Marple yet! Any one you recommend especially?

9:12 AM  
Blogger Alye said...

Tommy and Tuppance were my favorites for a while. I think the order of the later ones are:

Partners in Crime
N or M?
By the Pricking of my Thumbs
Postern of Fate (I haven't read this one)

Now I need to find my copies and read them again.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home