Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Queen Isabella (by Allison Weir)

As one of you delightful people predicted in the comments, I am totally dying to read more now. I think I will go for her book on the War of the Roses, a war that I vaguely know has something to do with red and white and York and Lancaster. But now that I've learned about Isabella (hot damn, woman) and Edward II (probably didn't die with the red hot poker up his butt!) I want to learn more. I felt that Weir didn't quite make her case on certain things (or really wanted to believe things more than she had actual evidence for, like her thoughts on Edward II's supposed escape and later whereabouts) and I still prefer Antonia Fraser, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I don't know why I am so into historical books about the British royal family. Maybe it's something to do with my college British Empire class, when I learned that through studying the Empire, you can study nearly the entire world--shaped, for better or for worse, by British imperialism. And of course you can't understand the Empire without understanding the history of the country. And also, I love The Office and Jane Austen and even Gwyneth Paltrow's fake British accent. Maybe I have a weakness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home