Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Young Adult Novel (by Daniel Pinkwater)

Okay, this "novel" is fifty-eight pages long, so how does this even count? That's the thing with "read 50 books a year!" drives. I think they're cute and motivating and all, but I could read all 12 Lemony Snicket books in a day, whereas it will probably take me 12 months to read Finnegans Wake. Not to say that one is inherently superior, because god knows I will probably enjoy Book 13 more than I enjoyed, say, An American Tragedy... but number of books read is a semi-meaningless statistic.

I'm still shooting for 100, though.

Lucky for me I read this one, then! It reminded me a lot of Gordon Korman's Don't Care High (maybe crossed with a little Obnoxious Jerks by Stephen Manes) except it suffers by the comparison. As much as I love Pinkwater, and as clever as it is, it's merely a fleeting diversion. If you're looking for some good, funny YA you can't do better than Pinkwater's own The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death, or Korman's Son of Interflux. Both awesome.

2 Comments:

Blogger K said...

I know what you mean. Sometimes I think the "15000 pages"-type challenges are more sensible, but I never would be able to keep count.

Admittedly, I have completely lost track of my tally of read books for the 50-book challenge (and should I count re-reads? Or only count them if it's years since the first time?) I'm sure it's more than 50 simply because it's July and I'm sure I read more than one and a half books a week.

(I haven't read any of your recent books, so haven't had anything cogent to say - but I am still reading you!)

Is Daniel Pinkwater the alter ego of Lemony Snicket (or vice versa), or did I imagine that?

2:35 PM  
Blogger mo pie said...

Close-- Daniel Handler.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home