Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Hound of the Baskervilles (by Arthur Conan Doyle)

As I was going through my reading list to cross off The Bridge of San Luis Rey (turns out it's on the Modern Library list and the Time Magazine list, and on another list of "most influential" novels, so I did a lot of very satisfying crossing-off). I was reminded that I'd never read The Hound of the Baskervilles. (It's also on the list of "influential" novels but I love the Sherlock Holmes stories, so I would have read it regardless.) I have nothing in the way of criticism to offer, though. It's Sherlock Holmes; what's not to love?

"On the contrary, I have been to Devonshire." "In spirit?" "Exactly. My body has remained in this armchair and has, I regret to observe, consumed in my absence two large pots of coffee and an incredible amount of tobacco."

2 Comments:

Blogger K said...

I just re-read A Study in Scarlet and am very tempted to read through the whole lot, in order. (I try not to do things like that - I sort-of-accidentally did it with Discworld last year and it ate nearly a month.)

Did you know the answer to the mystery before you read H-o-t-B? I did, and I think it lessened the book for me (though I was probably about 13, so not reading very critically).

3:50 PM  
Blogger mo pie said...

Nope, I didn't know the ending to Hound before I read it, although I kind of guessed part of it! Today I'm at work and I've been reading through the "Casebook," which are the later stories... they kind of suck.

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home