Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The Bonfire of the Vanities (by Tom Wolfe)

I enjoyed the hell out of this book, in spite of the obvious and embarassing lack of fleshed-out female characters. Ahem. Anyway, I found it to be a very entertaining satire of society and class in the eighties, as well as a thoughtful exploration of politics and journalism, and how truth is created and distorted for ultimately very personal, egoistic reasons.

I enjoyed the first half of the book better than the second half; possibly because I enjoy social comedy more than courtroom drama. I also thought the ending was a little abrupt, with a few loose ends. (And I don't mean the major loose end; I thought that was pretty clever.) There could have been a little more insight into the transformation of Sherman McCoy, with just a few more chapters.

I guess I don't have anything more to say about it. It was a fun read, if flawed, and I have read two more books since I finished this one, so it's not exactly fresh on my mind at this point.

And this is on my official reading list, so it gets a quote, but I left my book at home. I will fill it in later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home