Friday, June 10, 2005

Charlotte's Web (by E.B. White)

I temporarily mislaid my copy of The Bostonians, so I had an extra day to skip ahead and read Charlotte's Web which, believe it or not, is on my reading list. Who hasn't read Charlotte's Web ten times, anyway? But I read it again, and it is just as lovely and charming as it ever was. I'm not exactly sure what it's doing on the Radcliffe List at number thirteen; it has to be more than its belovedness and charm, right?

Maybe the Radcliffe people just like animals. Check out that list--Mockingbirds, Mice, Flies, Cuckoos, Cats, Doves, Rabbits, Falcons--not to mention a book about a noble dog, three books about talking animals, and a whole animal farm! I can't believe Watership Down didn't make the cut.

"'Can I have a pig, too, Pop?' asked Avery.
'No, I only distribute pigs to early risers,' said Mr. Arable. 'Fern was up at daylight, trying to rid the world of injustice. As a result, she now has a pig. A small one, to be sure, but nevertheless a pig. It just shows what can happen if a person gets out of bed promptly.'"
(Page 5)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love that book! Wilbur has always been one of my favorite characters, and who doesn't cry (a la Lisa's substitute teacher in the Simpsons) at the end?

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home