Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Hammock Reading

Like Beth, I recently had to go through the decision-making process of what books to bring on my summer vacation. I dismissed some books as being too literally heavy (Catch-22, The Brothers K) and other books for being too figuratively heavy (Light in August, Finnegans Wake).

I am halfway through The Bonfire of the Vanities and I am only sorry I didn't save it to read on the beach. I had no idea it would be so juicy and gossipy and fun, in addition to being well-written. I will probably finish it on the plane. I did manage to save my last issues of Entertainment Weekly, Real Simple, and Budget Living so I don't get stuck buying crappy overpriced magazines at the airport. (I probably will do that anyway, just so you know.)

Also in my bag are books purchased especially for the occasion: The Jane Austen Book Club (been meaning to read it) and Something Borrowed (an engagement ring on the cover, so you know it's chick lit, but it's supposed to be good chick lit). Other possibilities include The God of Small Things and Stiff. I don't know what else is in my pile of "literature" as opposed to "books" other than Faulkner, but maybe something good. (Confidential to K: Please don't take this to mean I love Faulkner.)

Anyway, I should be good on books, at the very least Tom Wolfe will entertain me, and the chick lit will divert me. And if I decide I hate all these books, I can always borrow something from Beth!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God of Small Things is very beautiful, but not exactly light vacation reading. Take Stiff! And Vanity Fair if you haven't read it yet.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Confessions of Max Tivoli is a great, fun read. I read it on lunch from work.

8:22 PM  
Blogger K said...

No, I won't take that as Faulkner cheerleading.

I haven't read any of the books you mention. This blog is challenging my smug position as a well-read person...

The last really good new book I read was Spies by Michael Frayn. I don't know if it's published in the States, but I'd definitely recommend it. A bit like The Go-Between but set during WWII - also reminded me a bit of Cat's Eye. It's holiday-sized.

I would also put in a vote for Vanity Fair. Or Pendennis. I think Thackeray is spendid entertainment reading.

3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home