Saturday, April 09, 2005

Motherless Brooklyn (by Jonathan Lethem)

I read this one on the plane ride back from Amsterdam. I'd heard it was his best novel, so I expected I'd like it more than gun, with occasional music but it didn't quite blow me away as much. It wasn't quite as inventive, or not exactly as cohesive... something.

The tone (and protagonist) reminded me quite a bit of The Pleasure of My Company, which isn't surprising considering they are both first-person stories told by someone who is somewhat mentally ill. (Both with obsessive-compulsive components.) Steve Martin's novella seemed very of a piece when I was done; with Brooklyn I was left wanting more: more character or more resolution or maybe a little more plot.

Clearly I need to ponder this one a bit more before I can put my finger on it. I'll get back to you. But overall, I did enjoy the book. And if you liked it, I recommend The Pleasure of My Company for a similar--yet different!--reading experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home