Monday, February 21, 2005

The Da Vinci Code (by Dan Brown)

Okay. So I was told that this book was "really, really stupid" and basically an utter waste of time. So imagine how dumb I feel saying that I liked it!

The beginning of the book, I admit, sucked. I started off listening to it on audio and every character sounded like Pepe Le Pew. The "expert cryptographer" was like the Tara Reid of cryptographers, or so I thought when she was unable to spot an anagram that it literally took me ten seconds to solve.

But then my audio book died on me, and I picked up an actual book and sped read my way through it, and it got better! I liked all of the puzzles and I enjoyed the historical aspects of it. I'm sure a lot of it is bullroar (tm Waiting for Guffman), but the appropriation of pagan symbology and the suppression of the female principle in the church are both obviously very rooted in history. And the church has damaged history and femininity for centuries, so a bestseller that touches on that theme makes me happy.

The stupid romance part isn't that emphasized (at least not when you are reading super fast) and the Possession-like ending... well, it's lame, but it was lame in Possession too.

So there you have it. Next time I will talk about Henry James or Virginia Woolf or something in an affort to win back your literary respect.

2 Comments:

Blogger mo pie said...

I have to add that I read the Amazon reviews and was like "man, that really DOES sound stupid!" but I didn't remember any of it. Reading that book at 300 pages per hour is the key. Because you won't pay attention to most of it!

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the book - I read it way before I saw any reviews and formed my own opinion while reading it. A little predictable at times but a fun, quick read.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home