Thursday, February 03, 2005

Babbitt (by Sinclair Lewis)

I really enjoyed this one. It made me think of part of Disney World's Carousel of Progress. This guy is surrounded by "modern" gadgets to a ridiculous degree, and bragging about them and talking about how easy life is going to be from now on. Babbitt reminded me of that guy.

The book is basically a character study of Babbitt himself, an absolutely ridiculous figure whom you sort of root for in spite of yourself. It makes some very interesting points about conformity, consumerism, capitalism and so forth. Nothing that we haven't already seen through (being "modern" people after all) but something we are all in thrall to nonetheless, if not so trapped by it as Babbitt is. I really enjoyed being inside Babbitt's head, self-delusions and weaknesses and foolishness and all. Funny, ironic, satirical and well-written. I'd recommend it.

"Just as he was an Elk, a Booster, and a member of the Chamber of Commerce, just as the priests of the Presbyterian Church determined his every religious belief and the senators who controlled the Republican Party decided in little smoky rooms in Washington what he should think about disarmament, tariff, and Germany, so did the large national advertisers fix the surface of his life, fix what he believed to be his individuality. These standard advertised wares--toothpastes, socks, tires, cameras, instantaneous hot-water heaters--were his symbols and proofs of excellence; at first the signs, then the substitutes, for joy and passion and wisdom." (Page 61)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray! We were assigned this book in 11th-grade English, and I was the only person in my class who didn't hate it (aside from the teacher). I found it fantastic and extremely funny. Now I'm feeling the need to read it again... -Emily

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is required reading material for a college course. I'm going to read this with an open mind. However, this professor is sworn to us he is attempting to turn us liberal as that is the true way of thinking. I hope this book isnt liberal propoganda but more of trying to live a good life. Conformity is something that is unavoidable -- think of the emo kids who try to stay away from conforming yet conform specifically to the emo genre with great precision. Avoiding social instruments such as being a follower and conforming somewhat is absolutely impossible. From what I've heard this book tries to say otherwise but we shall see. I also get extra credit for Ishmael so I'm interested to see how both those go.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home