Tuesday, February 08, 2005

An Old-Fashioned Girl (by Louisa May Alcott)

This was recommended by the Fametrackers, so I read it. Aside from a couple of excessive instances of authorial intrusion, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Very typical Alcott. You know the virtuous, kind-hearted girl who touches the lives of all she meets, blah blah. She's kind of all the Little Women rolled up into one: she's got the artistic talent of Amy, the domesticity of Meg, the independent spirit of Jo, and the angelic nature of Beth. It's got a sweet romance at the center of it, though, that's worth experiencing. Bottom line is, if you are an Alcott fan, you'll enjoy it. If you're not, you won't!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're inspiring me to do a Alcott read-a-thon sometime; it's been a while since I've read them. [I'm currently committed to reading some fantasy books -- a giant box of them -- that I read over a decade ago and had a hankering to read again (Katherine Kurtz).]

Have you read Eight Cousins and Rose in Bloom, also by Alcott? They both have the same cast of characters.

Laura
http://bookworm.typepad.com/

8:08 AM  
Blogger mo pie said...

I haven't read either of those, Laura. I'm going to have to check them out!

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home