Friday, September 13, 2019

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (by Rebecca Skloot)

I'm a bit behind the curve on this one, but I needed a book in the journalism category for the Read Harder Challenge, and that reminded me I hadn't read it yet! (Even though I was familiar with the broad outlines of the story and have donated to the Henrietta Lacks Foundation in the past.)

The story is compelling, and Skloot does an amazing service to Lacks's legacy. (As evidenced by all that has happened since the book's publication.) Parts of the story are so sad (the fate of Elsie, Henrietta's marriage and death) but the Lacks family comes to vibrant life and are portrayed in a thoughtful, not-at-all-condescending way, and their resilience and hope for the future is inspiring.

As compelling of a read as everyone promised it was!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home