Sunday, September 08, 2019

Circe (by Madeline Miller)

Read on the strong recommendation of my book-loving colleagues, and also for the "book of mythology or folklore" category of the RHC.  I also have loved Greek mythology for many years, and often think fondly of my college seminar on the topic. (Shoutout to Hecate, goddess of crossroads, and the myth of Philomela.)

As you might guess, this has easily became one of my favorite reads of the year so far. Such a gorgeous and erudite retelling of the Circe myth, with an ending that is absolute perfection. It is a feminist retelling without being too on-the-nose about it, but damn it's great. I immediately reserved Song of Achilles from the library, because I want more mythology from her!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home