Sunday, July 07, 2019

In at the Deep End (by Kate Davies)

A British comic novel (at least the first half) about a woman called Julia discovering her sexuality as a lesbian. It starts off hilarious, and I highlighted a bunch of scenes that made me laugh.  For example: Staring into my eyes, he went to push himself into me. He missed. ‘Jesus. That’s never happened before,’ he said. He picked up his penis and guided himself in, frowning as though he was trying to assemble a particularly tricky piece of IKEA furniture.

Julia then gets caught up in an abusive relationship, with some championship gaslighting and questionable portrayals of polyamory and BSDM along the way. It's half lesbian Bridget Jones and half lesbian 50 Shades of Gray. Overall I liked it, but be forewarned that it gets darker and more complicated as it goes along.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home