Thursday, July 28, 2022

I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend (by Martin Short)

 A very charming memoir by Martin Short.  I particularly loved his reminiscences of SCTV and SNL, and the whole Toronto Godspell crowd. I would love loved even more of all of that.  Plus basically an entire chapter on Three Amigos would not have gone amiss. (He improvised the scene about Lillian Gish, which the studio wanted to cut from the film. How dare they.) 

I am not a fan of his more grotesque characters like Jimminy Glick or whatever horrifying thing he did on Arrested Development. But I loved hearing his philosophy of life, his clear love for his wife, and his thoughts on grieving his wife Nancy Dolman as well as first love Gilda Radner, who both died of cancer.  He manages to keep a positive outlook in spite of it all, and the book left me with an appreciation of his approach to life.

Would I have enjoyed more gossip? Yes. (Like I'm sure he could have said a lot more about Chevy Chase than he did...) But his holiday parties with Tom Hanks playing accordion or whatever? His lake house across the way from Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell?  He really does let us into his life. I love him on Only Murders in the Building, I love a lot of his work, and I enjoyed this memoir! 

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home