Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Comfort Read Bonanza

Having a rough time, and YA comfort reads are helping. My own personal version of a Read Easier Challenge (although Harder is not always harder; that book about Gettysburg turned out to be a page-turner). Most of these were well above average, too!

See You Yesterday (by Rachel Lynn Solomon)

About a girl who gets stuck in a time loop and the boy who's stuck in there with her: Groundhog Day meets Palm Springs meets adorable YA romance. I loved the characters and the plot and the writing. Amazing chemistry and just all around young adult romcom perfection.

Blaine for the Win (by Robbie Couch)

My least favorite of the four, it was pretty predictable and the romance lacked chemistry for me. Plus Blaine had two things he kept promising to do and then forgetting to do for other people, and this is a personal trigger for me and was so annoying that I wanted to throttle him.

Not My Problem (by Ciara Smyth)

The fact that this ended too soon was my only critique.  Smyth is an amazing writer, the setting (Ireland) is refreshing, the F/F chemistry is great, and it has emotional depth. Nothing is obvious or predictable and every character is well drawn.  I loved it so much that I immediately checked out her next one....

Falling in Love Montage (by Ciara Smyth)

Equally great! Not sure which one I liked better but this one is so good too.  Plays with the tropes of romcoms and has a beautiful, bittersweet, yet hopeful ending. I definitely cried at the end of this one and whatever Smyth writes next, I will immediately read.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home