Saturday, September 18, 2021

The Third Pole: Mystery, Obsession, and Death on Mount Everest (by Mark Synnott)

As you may or may not know, Into Thin Air is one of my all-time favorite books (I own a slice of a rung of a ladder used to climb Everest). This is the first time I've read any mountaineering book that comes close, and is possibly even just as good. The Third Pole is about a 2019 expedition to try and learn more about the fate of Sandy Irvine, who possibly summitted the north route of Everest in 1924 alongside George Mallory. But both men died in the attempt, and it's never been conclusively proven.

I am fascinated by Mount Everest and it's great to have a book about the northern approach, from the Tibetan side, since so much has been written about the southern route. Synnott is a great writer; his descriptions are vivid and when he digs into the personalities and events on Everest, he does a great job.  (Some of the people he was climbing with tend to be portrayed a bit sketchier.) The story itself is fascinating, especially the role of the Chinese government, which I won't spoil. 

A great companion piece to Into Thin Air, and one I may have to actually purchase someday to add to my small shelf of books that I love to revisit. 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home