Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Instructions for Dancing (by Nicola Yoon)

I feel like this was either a Jen recommendation or on the "realistic YA novel about Black youth" list for the Read Harder Challenge. Either way: a delightful young adult romance by an incredibly talented Black author with a Black main character. 

The conceit here is that Evie (who is having a hard time after the divorce of her parents due to an affair) suddenly finds herself able to see the beginning, middle, and end of relationships. This leads to a meditation on whether, even knowing that it will end, falling in love is still worthwhile.  At the same time she starts taking ballroom dancing lessons and meets Xavier, who she starts falling for in spite of herself. Of course me being me, I cried at the end of this. Beautifully wrapped up.  

Apparently she has other books which for some reason I haven't read? I will need to get on that.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home