Saturday, April 17, 2021

Solutions and Other Problems (by Allie Brosh)

I tagged this both "kindle" and "on paper" because I actually have this in hardcover, but it is too heavy to comfortably read so I mostly read it on my phone from the library.  

I also tagged this "humor" and would have added a "sad" tag if I had one. Allie Brosh wrote a hilarious first book, Hyperbole and a Half, based on her equally amazing blog, and then disappeared for about five years.  It turned out later her depression was worsening, her first marriage was ending, and her sister died by suicide. All of these things are addressed in Solutions and Other Problems and, like the title suggests, none of them are fully behind her. 

In some ways this is the perfect read for 2021. We've all been through a lot of shit, we all are struggling with the absurdity and meaninglessness of life.  This book has funny moments, for sure, but it's not a laugh-till-you-cry experience like Hyperbole and a Half. Instead, it's more complex than that. I wish Allie Brosh well, and hope she will be back with another installment long before the next five years are up.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home