Saturday, December 28, 2019

Christmas Vacation Reads

Finished three books over Christmas vacation, the first two from the Tournament of Books, bringing me to 7/19 Tournament books read so far.

Girl, Woman, Other (by Bernardine Evaristo)

Vignettes of interconnected women or nonbinary characters, many of whom are in the LGBTQ community. Loosely organized around a premiere of a play written by one of the characters. I found all the narratives compelling and vividly human. The ending gave me a very personal gut punch. Booker Prize winner. Excellent novel!

Normal People (by Sally Rooney) 

Compelling coming-of-age read about a man and woman whose emotional lives are deeply intertwined. Feels unresolved at the end, which is undoubtedly the point. Entertainment Weekly named it the best book of the year, which I would quibble with, but still a good read.

The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of September 11 (by Garrett Graff) 

I had to read this in chunks but ultimately I'm glad I did. It is gripping. The political stories are hard to read with hindsight (Rumsfeld and Cheney come off like assholes; George W. Bush fares better. Almost impossible to remember Rudy Giuliani ever was non-evil.) But the narratives about the events themselves are the reason to read the book. Hard to believe it's almost been 20 years. 

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home