Wednesday, December 12, 2018

What If It’s Us (by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera)

Yep, still working my way through the Becky Albertalli ouvre! I hadn't ready anything by Silvera yet but I was interested to hear they'd teamed up to write a M/M romance in alternating perspectives.

I liked the full-on awkwardness of this romance. It captured the awkwardness of youth in the way that so many YA novels seem to gloss over.  But there were moments where it felt very co-authored -- not just that the characters' perspectives differed, but that one author made something happen, handed it over to the other who had to shoehorn in a new plot point, and it didn't quite work as seamlessly as I'd hoped. 

I enjoyed the boldness of the ending and it felt right for these particular characters in this particular romance. I have some quibbles but I will definitely check out Adam Silvera's work; I have a feeling I will prefer each of these writers as standalone authors more.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home