Monday, December 17, 2018

So Lucky (by Nicola Griffith)

And so the Tournament of Books has begun! I have to say I'm surprised by the shortlist. I thought The Great Believers (which I have not read) and My Year of Rest and Relaxation (which I have read, and loved) were shoo-ins. I'm thrilled that My Sister the Serial Killer made it because I loved that one too, but that's the only tournament book, other than this one, I've read so far.

So Lucky is about a community organizer and activist named Mara who is diagnosed with MS at the same time as her wife leaves her. She writes about what it's like to become disabled and how differently she is seen, and she explores many raw and angry feelings about being victimized and fighting back. I gather many elements of the novel are autobiographical, as Griffith identifies as a queer writer and also has MS.

As far as the Tournament goes, although the book is excellently written and the emotion behind it is powerful and the viewpoint is unique, it didn't blow me away. I don't have a "good" reason for why not, but maybe one of the ToB judges will articulate it for me! Overall, this wouldn't change my Zombie vote* for My Sister the Serial Killer. 

*Wherein you vote for your favorite book in the tournament to come back as a zombie.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger ljhliesl said...

Yeah, it just kind of went along. I adored her Hild beyond all sense and thought Slow River was pretty good but So Lucky struck me as belonging to a less established or professional author. I'm still looking forward to Blue Place though.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home