Saturday, October 21, 2017

Anxiety of Words: Contemporary Poetry by Korean Women (by Ch'oe Sung-Ja, Kim Hyesoon, Yi Yon-ju, trans. Don Mee Choi)

This was one of the harder categories for the Read Harder Challenge: collection of poetry in translation on a theme other than love.  Based on recommendations on Goodreads I selected this volume of contemporary Korean poetry by women, and I'm glad I did.  It's been a while since I sat down and read a book of poetry cover-to-cover, and these poems churned up emotions around womanhood, depression, suicide (one of the poets ultimately killed herself), motherhood, and more. Here's one I particularly loved:

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Nimble said...

Thanks for sharing that poem! I may need to take a poetry class so I have more reason to read it.

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home