Friday, August 15, 2014

Guide Her Home (by Jolene Lavine)

I should actually have a tag for this I just made a tag for this. This book was written by yet another friend of mine from the old-timey days of online journals, Jolene.* It's the memoir of her daughter Jessica being kicked in the head by a horse four years ago and her survival and recovery from a traumatic brain injury, an event that I followed along with on Facebook with my heart in my throat.

At the outset I have to say that although this book is self-published, it absolutely stands alongside other traditionally published works, most notably Schuyler's Monster, with which it has a lot of similarities. I could nitpick a few things that didn't work for me, but on the whole I was impressed. Even though I knew how it ends, it was still hard to put it down until I was done. Congratulations, Jolene!

*Can I just say how impressive our old-timey journal crew is? So many people have published successful books, Stee's show You're the Worst is really good, John is about to have his books turned into not one but two TV series... who knew, eh?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home