Monday, March 01, 2010

A Letter of Mary (by Laurie R. King)*

I decided to give the third book in the Mary Russell series a chance, and actually at some point in the middle of the book I really understood the complaints that Mary Russell is kind of a Mary Sue. It was when she suddenly was an expert horseback rider. It was a very Nancy Drew/Kay Scarpetta moment.

I wish the plot hung together better; there are all these red herrings and entire plotlines (such as the letter of the title) that never go anywhere. I did enjoy Mary's undercover disguise, but the way that resolves in the end is ridiculous. Plus, not enough Holmes! What's the point of the whole Mary Sue enterprise if we don't get more sexy Holmes? I might need to take a break from this series for a while.

I'm also itching to get back to my booklist; I'm reading The Moviegoer, Berlin Stories, and War and Peace right now. I just need a good audiobook to add to the mix.

2 Comments:

Blogger BC said...

I loved the first one but for some reason I've felt no compulsion to move on to the rest of the series. I probably will eventually.

6:10 AM  
Blogger mo pie said...

The second one was super annoying, quite frankly. The sexual tension was the only good part!

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home