Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Blue Shoes and Happiness (by Alexander McCall Smith)*

I have to give a shoutout to Lisette Lecat, the audiobook narrator of all the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency books, who does such a terrific job with the voices. This is the seventh book in the series, and it continues to be charming.

That's really the best word for these books: charming. They aren't fast-paced, a lot of the action happens off-screen, there's a lot of plots and subplots that come and go, and things are sometimes resolved super quickly. In this one especially, it felt like it could have been more cohesive.

But the characters are charming, the narration is charming, and the slice-of-life in Botswana is charming. Definitely worth it on audio. I've probably already said this ten million times, haven't I?

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori Rader-Day said...

I thought you already read that book. On paper. I only remember because I had been thinking about starting the series and you swayed me.

6:21 PM  
Blogger mo pie said...

This is book #7... I think I read books #4 and #5 on paper when I was on vacation last year. But I probably said the exact same thing about it!

Are you enjoying the series so far? Right now I'm listening to one that's even better... "The Beekeeper's Apprentice." It's apparently the first book in a series and I'm so excited!

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home