Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Julie & Julia (by Julie Powell)

We saw the movie, I visited the blog, I read the reviews of Cleaving, and I got the book for Christmas. And I read it! Um, obviously.

It's impossible to read this without a consciousness of the New Julie Powell--we all know she goes on to cheat on Eric and work at a butcher shop, and that her new memoir lacks the self-awareness that it needs to make sense of these events. (And yet I still want to read it.)

And so this version of Julie, the Old Julie Powell, seems a little unhinged when viewed through that lens. She throws a lot of temper tantrums, and seems snobby about "trailer trash" and the mentally ill. Her writing struck me initially as trying too hard at times to be witty. But I liked the book, ultimately--couldn't put it down--and am making my way through her blog archives and finding myself charmed and entertained. I like her willingness to be honest, even to a fault, about her own flaws.

So, I don't know. Somehow between the blog and the book, I ended up liking Julie Powell a lot. Maybe it's because she's a Buffy fan?

2 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Wow, now I kind of want to read this! Your reviews haven't steered me wrong yet, so I may just check this out of the library soon. :)

3:40 PM  
Blogger mo pie said...

It was a nice fluffy Christmas read... especially fun if you like to cook!!

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home