Friday, February 15, 2008

I'm Not The New Me (by Wendy McClure)

I hadn't read the book when it first came out, and I loved it the second time around. I read it for the Elastic Waist book club and here's what I said:

Part one:
I dug up my copy and am having a great time re-reading it--I haven't read it since it first came out, and I was very caught up in the surreal nature of having something like a JournalCon written about in a book.

A lot of things struck me, but one I wanted to mention in response to your second question is the depiction of other "fat chicks" (like Evelyn at the wedding) that seem to have something the author does not, something enviable. Since it's not thinness, I think at this point, the narrator has shifted from wanting to be thin to wanting to find whatever it is Evelyn has. I don't know if I'm right, but after part one, that's my theory.

Part two:
It was in the second half of the book that I really started to notice the fantastic metaphors. I wrote down "Russian nesting dolls" and "Star Trek transporter" as my two favorites.

I loved how caught up I was in the story, I loved the no-easy-answers ending. Fantstic.


I don't have anything particularly exciting to add, but I don't think I wrote about this book when I read it the first time. So here it is now. Thumbs up!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home