Thursday, December 27, 2007

Last Night at the Lobster (by Stewart O'Nan)

Another very very fast read (a novella) but a delightful little character study. It's about the last night at a Red Lobster that is closing; it's really about the manager, Manny. Although I would have enjoyed the relationships and secondary characters to be fleshed out a little more, I still loved the mood and feel of this. It's very familiar to people who have worked in food service or retail (I worked at Starbucks for three years; my sister was a server for many years and I spent a lot of time at her restaurant.) I actually found Manny's stickler attitude somewhat annoying by the end, but it felt very real to me. The relationships didn't resonate as much as they should have; possibly it was that the two primary women in Manny's life didn't come to life for me as characters. So, not perfect. But still recommended.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lori Rader-Day said...

I'm retroactively agreeing with you on this one. Flawed, but a really lovely tone that makes it a nice read.

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home