Saturday, December 22, 2007

We Have Always Lived in the Castle (by Shirley Jackson)

Recommended by jen fu, yay! I was impressed first of all by how extremely well written it is, with an impressively simple precision of language, and wonderfully strange characters. I wasn't sure if the ending was supposed to be a twist; it wasn't particularly surprising but it's still chilling and wonderful. I don't want to say too much and give it away. It's a quick read but really well done. If you liked "The Lottery" (Jackson's famous short story) you might be even more impressed with this!

4 Comments:

Blogger BC said...

Kymm bought me this a few years ago and I really loved it. Have you read The Haunting of Hill House? That one is a really uncomfortable read but also very good.

4:51 PM  
Blogger mo pie said...

I haven't read it, but I'm interested now. I'll check it out!

5:01 PM  
Blogger mo pie said...

P.S. What did you think of the reveal at the end? I didn't expect the denouement (which is what makes it fabulous, I think) but the truth about the murders was obvious, right? It was supposed to be, right?

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore this book and always have, I also recommend Jackson's two books about raising her children, funny family stories, Life Among the Savages and Raising Demons.

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home