Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Eleanor of Aquitaine (by Alison Weir)

I continue to prefer Antonia Fraser, and actually, this was the least compelled I have ever been by a historical biography. Isabella kept me interested the whole time, but Eleanor, not so much. Which is surprising since I'd just seen The Lion in Winter and she's such a fascinating person and her sons and husbands were all so fascinating. It could have and should have been so much better, and I think it was just down to the writing style that didn't grab me so much. Plus, like, one of her sons (Geoffrey) died and I didn't even remember when or how it had happened! Turns out he was killed off in the middle of a paragraph. How ignominious. And since there were two other Geoffreys, I didn't even notice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home