Monday, June 25, 2007

Lean, Mean Thirteen (by Janet Evanovich)

I always look forward to a new Stephanie Plum book. This one had what I thought was a particularly juicy plot (or way to spice up the "love triangle" business somewhat) as it involves Stephanie's hitherto unseen husband Dickie. However, it was absolutely more of the same. It might as well have been a Stephanie Plum madlib, because it seriously went nowhere.

Evanovich did an interview with Entertainment Weekly a while back in which she said she would never deviate from her formula, because people seemed to like it, and she was making a ton of money, and screw you. (She did not say screw you.) But come on, all that sexual tension and no payoff? It's getting really tiring. If she doesn't jump Ranger's bones in the next book... well, it will be annoying.

Anyway, as per the last entry, if I ever start talking about "the Wake" in super pretentious fashion, feel free to remind me that I also read this.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

At first I liked her books, but when I read the last one, I kept feeling like I'd read it before.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Toni McGee Causey said...

I'd been wondering about this -- esp. since I'm aiming at the same essential target audience. It's something I'm paying attention to (payoff/sexual tension and character growth.) Like you, I wish she'd resolve it (in the way you put it in the white text).

It's a shame, really, because I think the characters had such interesting potential if they'd grown.

6:55 PM  
Blogger mo pie said...

Absolutely. And I think it was such a wasted opportunity to have a whole book about her ex-husband and have it be nothing more than the usual plot device. It really could have created some super interesting tension. But... no. Oh well. She'll still make millions!

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home