Friday, August 03, 2007

First Among Sequels: A Thursday Next Novel (by Jasper Fforde)

Although Fforde's series about Jack Spratt is fun, it's always paled in comparison to the Thursday Next series for me, probably because it's about the world of nursery rhymes rather than the world of literature, and I (in case you hadn't noticed) enjoy literature. I really enjoyed this one (it's probably my favorite Thursday book, in fact). As I neared the end, I was wondering how all the plotlines could possibly be resolved; and, although many were, I see that Fforde is planning another Next book. Yay! Yay!

(Oh man, according to Wikipedia it's due in 2009. Oh well, something to look forward to now that the Potter is gone.) (Also according to Wikipedia, there will be three more after that. Thanks, Fforde! All is Fforgiven!)

There are so many subtle clues and in-jokes in these books; I have to go back and re-read The Well of Lost Plots. When I started the first one I thought they were a little too cutesy, but this one hits exactly the right note. I would tell you to go read it, but you'll be totally lost if you don't read the first three. Or will you? I don't know. Maybe you should give it a try. These books are a hell of a lot of fun, especially if you're into lit. (The series was recommended to me by an English prof at Pope Hilarius.)

I am now digging into the forums at Jasper Fforde's website and finding out just how much stuff I missed. It's... a lot. I missed a lot. Brainy, booky types: these are like candy for the brain. Check them out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home