Monday, May 29, 2006

Ya-Yas In Bloom (by Rebecca Wells)

Yeah. So I've read the other two Ya-Ya books several times each, despite the fact that they are somewhat annoying, so now I'm committed. This third installment had a lot of negative reviews, so I didn't buy it or anything, just read it. And I have to say that I enjoyed it quite a bit, probably more than Little Altars Everywhere (the first one).

The big problem I had is that the "villains" at the very end of the book are hateful fat ladies, and the Ya-Yas are deliberately set up as a contrast in their being eternally gorgeous and thin. Yes, my same old soapbox, but it still irritates me. I still waited for that one character who's allowed to be less than perfectly thin and yet still gorgeous and divine. Well, not in this book, anyway. And in addition, there's also the general twee nature of the series as a whole. But I consider this installment perfectly acceptable and entertaining, and I even hope there will be a next one, because I admit I'm invested in the characters and what happens to them.

Also, unlike in the horrible, horrible Sisterhood movie, nobody yells "Ya-Ya!" at any point as if it is a cheer of some sort. Thank god.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home