Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Girls' Guide To Hunting And Fishing (Melissa Bank)

I was expecting this to be a crappy chick lit book, but it really isn't. It is a fast and compelling read, and I really enjoyed it. There are two chapters in it that seem quite random and disconnected from the rest of the book, and I didn't quite understand what they were doing in there, but... oh, I just realized that it's a short story collection, isn't it? I still don't see the point of having two stories in there sort of sticking out like a sore thumb when the rest are so beautifully unified. Anyway, liked it a lot. Extremely well written, I thought. And this is the most insipid post ever. I'll try again later.

2 Comments:

Blogger K said...

This is the second post I've read today saying how good this book is. Like you I'd always assumed (based on the UK cover art) that it was chick-lit-esque fluff.

That's interesting about the two stories that don't fit. It reminds me of reading Helen Dunmore's Love of Fat Men, which contains several non-sequential stories about the same character, Ulli, and others that are unconnected. I almost felt as though she should have waited until she had enough Ulli stories for a book, because I wanted to hear more about that character - not that the other stories were bad, but by the end of the book I was starting each story wondering whether it was about her or not. Which was a slight distraction.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also liked _TGGtHaF_ quite a lot. This is the most insipid comment ever, and I don't care.

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home