Thursday, December 29, 2005

A Thread of Grace (by Maria Doria Russell)

I bought this book in the airport. I've had bad luck with previous airport picks, but this was on a shelf with The Kite Runner and The Time Traveler's Wife so it seemed like it might not suck. It's a historical novel about Italy during the second World War, mainly focusing on Jews and the people who help them.

My favorite thing about the book, other than learning about this interesting historical period (what effect the fall of Mussolini had, for instance), was that the outcomes of the lives of the characters weren't cop outs. You know, usually all the red shirts die to show you how horrible the Nazis are and whatnot, but the core of characters somehow miraculously survives the war. I'm here to tell you that, without giving too much away, she's a lot more realistic about it.

But I'm suspicious about this book because it was such a quick read. I can't decide if it's actually a good book, because it felt almost breezy. Considering the subject matter, maybe what I'm saying is that it could have been meatier?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maria Doria Russell is an incredible writer. Her book, A thread of grace, made me go out and buy her other books. All of them are thought provoking. She is my favorite writer that I have found recently. I wish everyone would read all her books as they force you to think about right and wrong, divine power, chance and so many other things.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of the frying pan, into the fire. Nations carving up people. She shows us that WWII isn't over yet.

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home