Thursday, December 29, 2005

Geisha, A Life (by Mineko Iwasaki)

Another fast read. I got this book for Christmas and tore through it in a couple of days. Basically it's the memoir of the geisha on whom Memoirs of a Geisha was loosely based.

I loved Memoirs of a Geisha (even though many people I know hated it) but I didn't really realize that it misrepresented geisha until I read this book. I do think the writing in Memoirs is a lot richer, but of course the true story is more, well, true.

It's worth reading; Iwasaki has quite a personality! From stabbing a guy in the hand to hanging out in closets to closing the venerable okiya in her charge, she has a mind of her own and a unique approach to her own destiny.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must agree, I too watch memores (sp?) of a Geisha and was totally emersed in it as I'm a hopeless romantic but when I read Geisha, A Life I discovered how untrue it was, though I'm still partial to it I do have to say I'm disappointed that the auther Golden gave such a betrail to Iwasaki and I much enjoyed reading the book, I am now writting a speech for englesh on her, I find it most enjoyable.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home