Monday, October 18, 2021

Crying in H Mart (by Michelle Zauner)

This wraps up the 2021 Read Harder Challenge with the category "food memoir by an author of color."  Michelle Zauner explores her relationship with her Korean mother (and grief over her mother's illness and death) through food. You can read the New Yorker essay that turned into this book here.

This was a great way to wrap up the challenge. This memoir is excellent and heartfelt, and made me think about my own relationship with my parents (also immigrants) as well as my daughter. So much here resonated.  

I especially loved Zauner's willingness to show herself and others so truthfully. She doesn't shy away from her flaws or those of others (cough her father cough) and the honesty makes you feel like you're being confided in by a friend.  I absolutely loved it! One of my favorites of the Read Harder Challenge and the year.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home