Friday, May 28, 2021

Hello I Want to Die Please Fix Me (by Anna Mehler Paperny)

This was my RHC pick for a book that "demystifies a common mental illness"; in this case, depression.  I thought the first half, Paperny's own story of her suicidal depression, definitely did help me gain more understanding of what the experience of depression is like and was extremely powerful.  (A note that as you might expect, this would likely be extremely triggering for anyone with suicidal ideation.) 

The second half of the book is more in the reporter vein (Paperny works as a Reuters reporter) and covers mental health stigma, the extremely inadequate research around depression, various treatment modalities, healthcare in Canada, and personal stories of other people experiencing depression. I found a lot of interesting info here but also it was less compelling for me that the more personal material.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home