Saturday, January 23, 2021

The Vanishing Half (by Brit Bennett)

This book is highly acclaimed (including by Barack Obama) and my friends at work also raved about how great it was. Also, it's on the Tournament of Books list so I was hoping I would finally finish one ToB book this year.

It was a bit slow going for me in the beginning, which made me nervous, but it picked up the pace when we jumped into the next generation and I ended up loving it. There are a number of Chekhov's guns that never actually get fired, which I found refreshing in a weird way. It felt more naturalistic, even if I had some questions and curiosities at the end that were never answered.

Some of the Goodreads crew didn't find the characters fully realized, but this was not an issue for me; I thought the characters were amazingly drawn. Excellent novel and I hope it goes far in the ToB!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home