Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant? (by Roz Chast)

A graphic memoir by a New Yorker cartoonist about the final years of her aging parents. This was for the Read Harder Challenge category of "nonfiction comic" so I bought it on paper, which I prefer to trying to read a graphic novel on my phone. 

As a person with aging parents (who are getting increasingly frail) this was so relatable and honestly probably arrived at the right time in my life. It handles the topic with sensitivity and humor, and painted such a vivid picture of her parents, and that mix of frustration, guilt, avoidance, more guilt, and everything else that comes up towards the end of life. But again, it's not a depressing read either, it's just very real.

I know this is one I'll continue to think about in the coming years.  

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home