Saturday, November 05, 2022

Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing (by Matthew Perry)

I was a Friends fan (of course, I grew up in the 90s) so I was interested in reading this memoir.  There isn't a ton about the Friends years per se, but an honest memoir of his struggles with addiction and other resulting health problems (like his colon exploding and him almost dying).

You definitely feel for Matthew Perry and get a good picture of the realities of addiction.  It's really sad that he has never been able to stay sober and get married and have kids - his dream is to be a father.  The writing here starts off well, but the timelines get confusing and by the end, he's repeating stories he's already told elsewhere.  Maybe some more editing would have helped, because the writing is candid and his voice is strong.

Also the ending seems to vacillate between "addiction will kill me" and "I am cured now" when the truth is, we don't know for certain.  My heart goes out to him and I hope he makes it.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home