Wednesday, March 09, 2022

The Trees (by Percival Everett)

When I read the description of this (a series of Mississippi murders connected to the lynching of Emmett Till) I was expecting a dark exploration of America's sins.  But somehow this book is... hilarious? While still somehow also confronting the legacy of lynching that continues (via police shootings) to the present day.

I loved So Much Blue and I heard such good things about The Trees that I decided it was a must-read before the Tournament of Books. (Not that my predictions mean anything. So far three books have been knocked out and two have advanced. Guess which three of these books are the ones I've read.)  Regardless, this book is absolutely amazing and I recommend it highly.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home